How to Setup?
- Click on "Add-on" > "Database Browser" > "Setup". You get the following screen.
- By clicking on menu button, it will open up a sidebar there you will get list of options to travel around the app.
Move to "Connection" tab and select "Create New Connection" to create a Database Connection
Once you select "Create New Connection" you have to enter the following details
- Connection Name
Name of the connection in order to differentiate different Database connections
- Database Type
Type of the Database that is being supported by Database browser.
Refer Supported Databases for the detailed list of supported databases.
Note: Cloud Database generally blocks the outside connection so there is some chances of connection failure. In order to overcome that you should unblock certain IP's. For further guidance please refer this documentation
- Host Name or IP Address
Name of the server or IP address of the server where the Database is running
- Database Name
Name of the Database
- User Name & Password
User name and password are provided by the Database Administrator for authentication
Click on "Save" to save the Database Connection
You can create multiple Database connection using Database Browser
You can check the Database connection by Clicking on "Test now"
On successful connection is displays "Connection tested successfully"
On failure connection it displays error message
Multiple Connections can be created
You can click on the Trash button to delete a Database Connection
Move on to "QUERY"
If there is no Query it will display a message as "There are no existing queries".
In order to create new queries follow the below steps
Click on "Create New Query "
Please Fill out the following fields
- Query Name
Name of the query to be executed in order to differentiate different queries.
- Database Connection
Displays the list of Database connections. Select the connection you want to execute the query .
Displays the list of tables in the Database. Select the table you want to execute the query
Displays the list of fields present in the table. Select the fields you want to display in the sheet.
In filter you can filter the data to be displayed based on conditions. you can use multiple filters by clicking the plus button
Note: The SQL query is generated automatically once you select tables and fields . If you are expert in writing query on your own you can write your query in the SQL segment
In this field you can choose where to display data. You can either choose new sheet or you can go with the existing sheet
- Automatic Execution
If you check on the "run automatically" check box the query gets automatically run in the background
Note that you have to choose "Run in Background" to run query in the background
Click on Execute Query to run the query
Click on Back to List to go Back to list
Multiple Queries can be created
One can delete a query by clicking on the Trash button
One can execute the query by clicking on the Execute button
Trash Button - One can click this button to delete the query
Execute Button - One can click on this button to execute the query
Move on to "Edit" tab
Edit feature allows user to update records in the database table directly by updating records in Google sheet.
Edit feature requires pro version of the add-on.
Click on "Pay Now" to purchase license for the add on
- Edit From Sheet
Edit from sheet allows you to directly by update/insert your table row data by changing the sheet row values.
- Updating the Database
- Click on Start Tracking and start editing your sheet. Database browser automatically starts monitoring your edits and changes edited cell to blue colour and shows the updated rows in add-in side navbar(it may take while to change colour) .
- Once you have done with editing cell values choose your database connection and table that's needs to be updated.
- Once everything is set click on save button and it will start updating your table with sheet values.
- If the Update is successful the entire row gets coloured as green, indicating that update was successful.
- If any of the data is not updated an error message is displayed. The not updated row gets coloured as red, indicating that this particular row is not updated. A note is added to the first cell of the corresponding row representing the error.
- Once update is complete you can click on Stop Tracking to stop monitoring sheet value edits.
Note : For updating records primary key should be present in your sheet otherwise it will start inserting new records.
- Updated field
- Updated field gets successfully updated in the Database
- Error While updating the Database